* Ramadaan is the month in which versuses of the Holy Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon him).
* It is the nineth month of the Islamic calender.
* It includes one of the most powerful auspicious nights; the actual night the Quran was revealed. This occurs on one of the odd nights in the last 10 days.
* Muslims are ordered to obstain from food, drink and other wordly pleasures from dusk till dawn. This is with the intention of focusing on prayer, spirituality and chatity. We all come down to one level and feel what it is to go without food for the day, irrespective of how much wealth you have.
* Gossiping, anger and other impurities are to be obstained from aswell.
* The exact start date of Ramadaan is dependant on the sighting of the new moon.
* Islam functions on the lunar calender which is different to the Gregorian calender. Whilst our auspicious days remain the same on the islamic calender, they change,generally 10-11 days earlier, on the gregorian calender each year.
* Charity plays a huge role during this month also, muslims have to pay Zakah through out the year, this is obligatory charity. During ramadaan, many also give beyond that which is known as Sadaqah: voluntary givings. Any good deed you do during this month is said to be rewarded with a greater blessing.
* Ramadaan forms part of the 5 pillars of Islam.
* It ends with a celebration called Eid-Ul- Fitr
If you, muslim or non muslim, want to wish someone a blessed ramadaan, you can say Ramadaan Mubarak.
To all of muslim family, friends and readers, I wish you a prosperous Ramadaan. May all of our efforts be accepted and rewarded by the almighty Allah SWT and may changes made in this month be permanent in sha allah (God Willingly)
Want to know more? Pop your question in the comments below or join me in wishing our fellow bloggers and friends n family a prosperous Ramadaan.